Friday, November 16, 2012

Leapfrog

Friday night's brief happy hour started (and ended) with the Leapfrog before heading out to our fave neighborhood Mexican joint for dinner.  What made this drink so interesting, given its ingredients, is how much it tasted like grapefruit juice-- with the slightest finish of mint.  

It's quite possible there could have been a second round of these.  The Partner did have something witty to say and commented how he looked forward to seeing his humor immortalized on the blog.  However, it was the evening before the week's grocery shopping and I used the last fresh lemon we had in the house to make the one round.  And then there were the gigundo margaritas at dinner.  So I don't remember what he said that so hilariously summarized the bev and whether or not other rounds were even desired had the necessary ingredients been on the bar .  Gotta love Date Nite :-P


Leapfrog
2 oz. gin
3/4 oz. lemon juice
1/2 oz. apricot liqueur
1/4 oz. simple syrup
2 dashes orange bitters
6 mint leaves

Muddle the mint with the syrup.  Add the rest of the ingredients and shake with ice.  Strain* into a chilled coup.  No garnish.

*:  You may want to use a fine strainer.  Small bits of mint, as you can see in the pic, will get through the standard bar strainer.  But since this has no garnish, I thought the few vivid green flecks bobbing around gave it some visual interest.

2 comments:

  1. Grapefruit and mint hints? Sounds like a good one!
    maybe keep the pencil that was Grandpa's that I peyoted around handy at the bar for writing down the Partner's wit ;-) The Peyote Bar Pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Peyote Bar Pencil"! LOL! I expect to see that fab little accessory on your web site sometime soon!

    Usually, when he does pop off with something clever, I tap a few notes on my iPad to remember. But it was all the way upstairs and I didn't feel like going up the spiral of death to get it; and the notepad in the the kitchen was buried in our already junked junk drawer! My Peyote pencil was, however, on the coffee table in my Humanist Bible. I shoulda grabbed it!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.