Friday, September 16, 2011

Buster Brown | 34 down 241 to go

Anyone out there remember Buster Brown shoes?  Yes, I’m dating myself.   But my point is this.  Find yourself an old pair of Buster Browns from when you were, like, four.  Drop them in some grain alcohol with a lemon and a little sugar.  Let them hang out overnight.  For happy hour the following day, strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass and you’ll have all the pertinent flavor notes of the Buster Brown.

If ever there was a cocktail so clearly concocted for desperate Prohibitionees to get drunk off some bad, backyard hooch, this is it.  Now granted, I didn’t use Willet’s.  But frankly, I don’t know that it would have mattered and it would have been a waste of some very nice bourbon.  So luck was with us there.

The concoction was thin, sweet, and smokey with all the negative connotations of the latter.  The citrus and sugar combined to bring out more burnt char than smoke.  Not a pleasant combination.  I only made one round of this, to be fair.  Perhaps a second would have helped, as it often does.  But I was flying solo tonight and just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

As usual, the recipe follows.  Perhaps you’ll have better luck than I did and find something redeeming in this bev.   If you do, please drop a comment below.

Buster Brown
2 oz. bourbon
¾ oz. lemon juice
½ t. sugar
2 dashes orange bitters

Shake with cracked ice and strain into a cocktail glass.  A maraschino in the garnish.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I DO remember Buster Browns and had a pair myself. In fact, I loved them so much that they were my new school shoes every year from kindergarten until fourth grade, when I discovered saddle shoes. Of course, I hadn't yet realized my love of fabulous cocktails or beautifully bad backyard hooch (which my inner bad girl does appreciate). I will mix up one of these and pay homage to my favorite shoes. A perfect cocktail for the premiere of "Boardwalk Empire," perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were mine too...and during that same age range too! Tho' saddle shoes were never my thing. Did do the platform thing though in late grade school and middle school. It was the '70's after all!

    Keep me posted as to how you like the BB...

    ReplyDelete

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.