Friday, April 1, 2011

Floridita | 9 down 266 to go

Bases, mixers & accents for the Floridita
We’ve been having major wireless router issues for the past few weeks.  After about 8 hours total on the phone & chat with Cisco & HP, I finally decided to hire someone to come in and make a fix on-site.  Unfortunately, he could only come after 7pm on Friday.  Really?  That’s the end of happy hour!

At 7:15, 2 Diablos in, and having just mixed our next bev --  the Floridita -- he knocked on the door.  The Partner let him in, directing him upstairs to my office, which doubles as our entertainment room and wet bar.  As he settled in to troubleshoot, our new cocktails sat waiting.  After some time, I couldn’t take it anymore with these two frosty bevs calling my name.   

“Well, this is our usual happy hour, can I off you a cocktail?”  
He heaved a sigh clearly indicating he’d had a week and said, “Yes, that’d be great.  What do you have?”  

I told him we have anything he could want.  I took a quick opportunity to tell him about the cocktail project.  “I just made a vintage cocktail called a Floridita,"   I said, pointing to the dainty, pink concoction in a small Martini glass.  "I could make another one for you.”  

Graciously he said, “I think I’ll just have a beer.”  His thought bubble: “Yeah…they’re gay.”  

A funny moment.  

Leaving him to do his thing, I took our cocktails downstairs.  Clink.  Sip.  And The Partner’s face collapses into the tip of his nose.  “Do we have to finish it?”  

It’s pretty hard to describe, but it evokes a flavor from childhood.  What, I can't put my finger on.  The crème do cocao gives it a cocoa essence without being chocolaty, but the overall effect is too sweet.
All-in-all, the tech guy’s beer was sounding real good at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.