Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cocktail Chat | Off to Binny’s!

One of 2 liqueur aisles at Binny's
The Big Ah-Ha for today:  I love shopping for booze!  Generally speaking, I don’t like shopping.  I can spend hours in book stores, grocery stores, computer & software stores, and that’s about it.  Now I can add liquor store to the list.  Especially when I have to find a particular new spirit that I’ve not used before.

Besides restocking with the staples: sweet & dry vermouth, gin, tequila; I also picked up a couple items that are new to our bar but in high use at PDT.  Included are white vermouth, peach liqueur, pear liqueur, Luxardo Maraschino liqueur, and honey bourbon.  Can’t wait to try them all!

For the Chicagoans following the blog:  Does anyone else miss Sam’s?  Ever since Binny’s bought them out in 2009, the warehouse on Marcy is just not the same place.  The selection is not as international or as extensive.  Used to be that there was practically nothing they didn’t have.  Now, it’s just a bit lacking even in some of the essentials, like bottle pourers, glassware, bar utensils.  I miss Sam’s.  But finding new and interesting spirits is a blast.

2 comments:

  1. i guess i haven't checked in since i read the post stating you weren't sure what direction the blog was going to take. you have been busy! These all look fantastic!
    let me know how the honey bourbon tastes. i see it every time i am in the liquor store and am intrigued. and BTW...your Xmas gift to me...so So SO PERFECT!!! My Manhattan Bead Buddy thinks so too...we never want to bead without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I have to admit, yours and AMA's gifts were the ones I was most excited about giving this year. I'm so glad you like and have someone else who appreciates to share it with. After all, it's never any fun to drink alone! Will keep you posted on the honey bourbon.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.