Friday, October 5, 2012

Newark

A keeper on the menu list for those with a sweeter palate.
As much as I loathe to admit it, it's October.  The summer has passed in the blink of an eye, and it feels like we barely got a chance to enjoy it.  Today is a cool, damp, cloudy day.  And while I don't want summer to end, resistance is futile.

So in an act of capitulation, I hit the PDK's seasonal recipes and found the Newark under "Fall".  We did not have the Fernet Branca.  I looked it up to see if there was a substitution I could make.  (I'm getting pretty chefly with this mixology thing!)  It's described as "a dark, syrupy alcoholic drink similar to an amaro, with a flavour that's best described as being a cross between medicine, crushed plants and bitter mud." Yum. And we don't keep Jager on the bar. So what do we have that comes close to this to add that dimensionality? I opted for a splash of Pimm's. Thinking about it again, Campari might have been a better choice. 

Still, I don't know if I'd try again with either the Campari or the Branca, assuming I could find it.  Both The Partner & I were in agreement from the first sip -- way-aay too sweet.  Oddly enough given the pear base, it had a smooth, apple quality to it.  It is the essence of fall.  Despite it not being our cup o' tea, I don't know that I would discount it out of hand.  This is a good bev to keep on hand for the guest who might be up for something new and has a palate for sweet tipples.  In that case, I think this could be a hit.

Newark
2 oz. pear brandy
1 oz. sweet vermouth
1/4 oz. Fernet Branca
1/4 oz. Maraschino liqueur

Stir with ice & serve in chilled coupes.  No garnish.  

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, something sweet coming from Newark? Not sure that fits into the same sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly, it does sound suspicious. Though there are the NJPAC, Iron Bound, & some other revitalizing downtown districts :-) PDK says it's a riff on the Brooklyn, which is rye, dry vermouth, maraschino, & Amer Picon -- an accent I have a hard time finding. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i believe i would enjoy this one.

    and any time i hear/see fernet branca (calihan has a bottle in their liquor room), i'm always reminded of this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0QTD3uZoTI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loves me some Cosby! I've never heard that one before. My sister and I wore OUT my parents' LP's of his standup when we were kids. His version of Noah & the ark is our fave. That and "Dad is great! He gives us chocolate cake!" We still sing that to this day.

    Gotta say, the fernet branca does not sound appetizing, but will have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Cosby's chocolate cake for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Antiquity, I've had a feeling that I like you. This proves it! Cosby's logic on this is quite sound:

    chocolate cake / breakfast = eggs + flour + milk

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. over dinner last night, keith and i were doing Noah and Junior Barnes for the rest of the family...then i see this today! LMAO

    ReplyDelete

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.