Sunday, March 27, 2011

Black Velvet | 5 down 270 to go

It couldn't be simpler. Too bad it couldn't be good, too.
There are 3-5 different Champagne cocktails in the bible depending on definitions.  One is a Bellini, but that’s prosecco – not Champagne.  The other is a variation on a theme which I’ll get to in the next post.  Last night we tried two.
 
The Black Velvet.  I’ve been looking forward to this one for several reasons.  First, it couldn’t be simpler.  Two ingredients: Champers & Guinness (plus a lemon peal for "zing").  Next, I love both.  Finally, it represents the two ends of the taste continuum that The Partner & I constantly bounce along.  (His ability to swing so effortlessly from beer to Champagne tastes was a total surprise and one of the things that first attracted me to him.  It all came out during our first trip to Costco; but that’s another story.)
   
We can keep this one real simple.  The best thing about this cocktail was that once we were done experimenting we had open Guinness and Chandon that needed to be consumed.  H & M recommend 1 part Guinness to 4 parts Champagne.  I thought that was all wrong, even when The Partner pointed out that in a Champagne cocktail the star is the Champagne.  With the recommended proportions I thought it tasted like a caramel fizz.  Not that that’s a drink anywhere I know of, but that’s what came to mind.  Wanting to like this so we could make it a part of the new repertoire, I played with the proportions.  The results were bevs that tasted simultaneously like diluted Guinness and diluted Chandon.  Mmmmmmm…! 

At that point I totally agreed with my brother-in-law’s rechristening when he heard the description from my sister: “Black Velvet?  Sounds more like a Black Velour!”

Black Velvet
4 oz. chilled champagne
1 oz. chilled Guinness

Pour chilled Guinness into frosted champagne flute.  Add champagne and garnish with lemon twist.

2 comments:

  1. sorry it was a bust. no part of me said "ooo, yeah" when you were telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, waddaya gonna do? But the French 75 was awesome. Not as easy as the BV, but not difficult. That post coming soon.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.