Friday, March 4, 2011

Gettin' this party started

"Ketel One on the rocks (78)with a twist, please." "Ketel One on the rocks with a couple olives…thanks." "Ketel One up. Go ahead and throw a few olives in it." "Ketel One martini, please. You can put a twist in it." Really, the cocktail scene has been getting rather boring lately. I like my Ketel, good Dutchman that I am. But recently I've been craving more variety in the liquor department -- a problem I never have when I’m in the mood for beer. But I'm not a fan of many other liquors. I don't drink scotch, unless it's the really good stuff and I’m nursing it. I can't drink rum since I was weaned on it. And I really don't like sweet drinks.

Then the other day, I was going through my cookbook cabinet looking for a particular book. (I suffer not the same monotony when it comes to things culinary. Go figure.) Pushed behind other bigger books was Harrington & Moorehead's Cocktail: The Drinks Bible for the 21st Century. BING! It's a book of 275 different mixed drinks. My problems were solved. Sure there are ingredients here that I don't ordinarily imbibe. Bitters are, well, bitter. I think Gin is just odd. And why in God's name would I ever want to mix it with heavy cream, orange flower water & egg whites?? But perhaps if a few individual non-faves are mixed with a few faves the combined whole is greater than the sum of the parts? Maybe…?

The great thing about this book too is that it's not just a collection of recipes. It's history, storytelling, equipment list, picture book, and keyhole into culture via the venerable cocktail. For this student of history and literature it's enough to impel me to try these treasures. Heck, I could drink anything once. Several more times if I like it. Plus, how much fun would it be to be able to walk into a bar and order a Cuba Libre instead of something off the tired martini menu (and then be able to tell the bartender how to make it when he looks at me with blank expression)? Answer: It could be a lot of fun. And if not fun, certainly interesting.

So, here's the plan. I'm going to make 275 different cocktails over time. The results, thoughts, reviews, occasions, and hopefully a picture or two will be posted here to document this little tipple-tipple trip. And no, this isn't going to be any kind of Julie & Julia project with a daily labor of tortured, self-reflective, emo-hipster, existential angst tied to my bottle of bitters and a frigid shaker full of ice. This is to be enjoyed. Hopefully, after a couple of these frosty beverages with friends and Partner, it'll be fun too. And with any luck it'll even get silly!

Santé!
~Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.