Friday, March 25, 2011

Cocktail Chat | First Order Out

I did it.  I had the opportunity to order a cocktail and I broke the chain.  Last night The Partner & I were out with one of our best couple friends.  They’d arrived at the club before us and were half way through their first round.  The server came to take our cocktail order.  The Partner went first.  I looked around the table and what did I see?  Dirty Marty, dirty Marty, Kettle rocks.  I just couldn’t do it.  Not…another…vodkaaaaaa!!!
 
So I screwed up my courage and said, “I’ll have a Manhattan.”  Such a rebel, I know.  But then came the inevitable next question.

“Do you have a preference of bourbon?” 

*Gulp*  I did not want to look like a noob.  So I played it off:  “What do you have?” 

“We have Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniels & Knob Creek.”  And what do you know?  In my mind’s eye I could see each bottle as he rattled them off.  I knew each one of them.  Had experience with each one of them.  I had a preference and could make an informed choice! 

Two rounds in and that gentle, heady buzz was humming, my limbs were warmed from the cold walk from the el, and my appetite was duly stimulated and ready for the delicious dinner that awaited us before the theater. 

Now that’s what this project was all about!

3 comments:

  1. if you're a rebel, what does that make me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer my Manhattan to be made with Canadian Club whiskey, rather than bourbon. I mean, what's a southern spirit doing in my northern drink?

    -One of your boozy cousins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey boozy cuz! lol. Southern spirits in a Northern drink. That's funny. I'm gonna keep experimenting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.