Friday, May 6, 2011

Fancy-Free | 18 down 257 to go

Cocktail is divided into 3 parts.  Part I is "Mixing Advice from the Alchemist".  Part II is "The Drink Classics Worth Imbibing First" and consists of 63 of the 275 classics.  It's from here that I find most of the history about a bev included in a blog entry.  Then there's Part III: "Drink Recipes".  And that's all they are.  Names and recipes.  It's from here that the Fancy-Free came so there's no official history.

However, as soon as I mixed and decanted this, the nose instantly took me back to my history as that little boy eating sotted cherries.  There's just something about the combination of bourbon & maraschino juice that reminds me especially of my grandparents' generation.  Too, in bourbon drinks maraschinos don't look quite so offensive.  I love how in this one it's almost a shimmering jewel set in the crook of the glass.

The Fancy-Free is so simple to mix, very Manhattanesque, and good.  So good, in fact, The Partner made one of his boldest declarations to date:  "Honey, I think this is the best one you've mixed yet!" 

"Wow!" I said.

"Can't wait to see that in print…" he "protested", practically begging me to include his quip here. 

But I'm a mixologist now.  I serve to please!


Fancy-Free
2 oz. bourbon
1/2 oz. maraschino juice
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash orange bitters

Shake with cracked ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass; garnish with a maraschino

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.