Thursday, May 5, 2011

Petit Zinc | 17 down 258 to go

The grayish tinge should've been a warning!
As mentioned in the previous entry, we were on our way to dinner at J- & M-‘s place.  After 18 years, they’re more family than friends.  So I thought I’d bring the bible along and rustle up a cocktail with them at their place.  It was sort of a Top Chef moment with no idea what they would have in their bar besides their favorite bases of vodka & scotch.  Available mixers included some sweet vermouth & Grand Marnier & orange juice.  So a Petit Zinc it was (substituting Grand Marnier for Cointreau).

If you were starting to worry that we liked everything we made lately with all the “Make it again Sam” tags, fear not.  This was awful.  Figures it would happen at a friend’s  home.  Despite all the other ingredients and what you’d expect to be a glass full of orange, it was like drinking thickened sweet vermouth.  Horrible.  We adjourned to the roof to enjoy a spring evening if not the concoction.  The guys sipped dutifully, eyeing me over the rims of their glasses, telepathically asking each other “How much more of this will we have to drink this before quitting?”  Yet I didn’t want to give up and was heroically striving for the bottom of the glass. 

Finally, M- stands up with a half empty glass.  “If you don’t mind, I’m going to move on to something else.”  As the word “absolutely” was coming out of my mouth, The Partner stands as well.  “Yeah, me to.  I need a vodka.”   Really?  Et tu, Iohannes? 

 I couldn’t blame them.  If it’d been our liquor, I’d’ve been leading the way to the bar for a new bev.

Petit Zinc
2 parts vodka
1 part each: sweet vermouth,
Cointreau, OJ

Shake with cracked ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass, garnish with orange wheel or a maraschino.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice! Criticism is best when friendly & constructive.